TOP 5 BOOMER WORKOUTS:
- Do something to get your heart pumping
- Brisk Walking or Running
- Swimming, Biking
- Dance, try a Zumba class or an Exercise Video
- Try to get 30 minutes (can be split up throughout the day if short on time)
Work those muscles twice a week for 30 minutes by doing some of the exercises below. Leave some time between workouts, (24 - 48 hours is recommended) for muscles to recover and to avoid injury.
- Pushups. Great to define and strengthen chest and core (modify on knees if needed, or against a wall)
- Squats. A big calorie burn, using multiple muscles at once!
- Rows for your upper back, using dumbbells or a resistance band. Great to keep your posture upright and tall.
- Shoulder Reaches, Bicep Curls and Tricep Kickbacks to keep those arms strong and ready for anything.
Keep Flexible with a little stretching. 5 minutes should do it. A couple examples below:
- Stretch Hamstrings (usually tight in most clients we see)
- Give those calf muscles a stretch at the end of the day. This could also help alleviate foot issues such as plantar fasciitis
4. Balance training
Older adults start losing balance making is easier to fall. To prevent falls, a program that incorporated balance training is key. Isn't is much better is you are ready to catch yourself with those accidental slips and trips. This is a big part of our BRANDFIT50 programs.
- Stand on one leg. Have a chair or something secure close by.
- Stand on Tippy-Toes and Hold
- Spend 2 minutes a day practicing balance
Keeping your core strong is not really that difficult. Many think of countless sit-ups is what's needed to strengthen the core, but that is actually a myth and can cause more damage than good.
- Holding a Plank position is a great way to strengthen. Starting on knees is fine and being mindful not to let your pelvis fall too far forward (hurting the lower back)
- Bridging, by laying on your back with legs bent. Gently lift hips forward, squeezing glutes. This is great exercise for your lower back which is part of the core.
Always check with your doctor before starting a new exercise program.
Join us at BRAND FITNESS for programs and a community for adults 50+. Watch for our new Studio opening soon in Surrey, BC. CONTACT US for more info!